By Mineo, Bernard
A spouse to Livy incorporates a selection of essays representing the main up to date foreign scholarship at the lifestyles and works of the Roman historian Livy.
- Features contributions from most sensible Livian students from round the world
- Presents for the 1st time a brand new interpretation of Livy's historic philosophy, which represents a key to an total interpretation of Livy's physique of work
- Includes reviews of Livy's paintings from an Indo-European comparative aspect
- Provides the main sleek reports on literary archetypes for Livy's narrative of the background of early Rome
Read or Download A Companion to Livy PDF
Best historiography books
Richard C. Atkinson's eight-year tenure as president of the college of California (1995-2003) mirrored the key matters dealing with California itself: the state's emergence because the world's best knowledge-based financial system and the quickly increasing measurement and variety of its inhabitants. As this feature of President Atkinson's speeches and papers finds, his management was once marked through leading edge methods that intentionally formed U.
This quantity offers approached to language coverage within the united states: linguistic assimilation; and linguistic pluralism. the writer examines bilingual schooling in public colleges, linguistic entry rights to public prone, and the designation of English because the country's reputable language.
This assortment includes the 1st English translations of a gaggle of significant eighteenth-century German essays that tackle the query, "What is Enlightenment? " The publication additionally contains newly translated and newly written interpretive essays via prime historians and philosophers, which study the origins of eighteenth-century debate on Enlightenment and discover its value for the current.
- Hyphenated Histories: Articulations of Central European Bildung and Slavic Studies in the Contemporary Academy
- Lectures on the History of Philosophy, Volume 1: Greek Philosophy to Plato
- Barbarism and Religion, Volume 5
- Mirroring the Past: The Writing And Use of History in Imperial China
- From Conquest to Coexistence: Ideology and Antiquarian Intent in the Historiography of Israel’s Settlement in Canaan (Culture and History of the Ancient Near East)
Extra resources for A Companion to Livy
The Aginnensis was made famous by Billanovich’s research (1951). According to him, Petrarch was the one who, in his youth, had corrected and complemented and also supplemented it with copies of the ﬁrst and fourth Decades, in order to possess the most complete Livy of his time (Billanovich 1951, 145–151; 161–163; 203–205). Billanovich was thus reducing the number of A correctors to two: in the ﬁfteenth century, Lorenzo Valla, whose hand had been identiﬁed by Walters in 1917 (de Franchis 2000, 29, n.
Rom. Rom. Ti. Gr. Pol. Polyaenus Strat. Pomp. Mela Prop. Praef. PUF Q. Cic. Comment. pet. Quint. Inst. Rhet. Her. Roman Praenomina RE RÉA Rev. Hist. REL RFC RG RhM RIDA RIN Rol. RSA Sall. BJ Cat. Hist. Schol. Bob. Sen. Controv. Sen. Ep. Q Nat. Serv. tex V1 - 08/12/2014 2:42pm Page xxviii Abbreviations Lysander Marcellus Moralia De mulierum uirtute Numa Philopoemen Pompeius Pyrrhus Quaestiones Romanae Romulus Tiberius Gracchus Polybius Polyaneus Strategemata Pomponius Mela Propertius praefatio Presses Universitaires de France Quintus Cicero, Commentariolum petitionis M.
If some believe that he wrote the major part of his contemporary Roman history in Padua, others, on the other hand, argue that his relationship with Augustus, the part he played in the education of the future emperor Claudius, and the arrival in Rome of a Spanish admirer who had come on purpose to meet him (Plin. Ep. 2. 3. 8) would all seem to indicate that he remained in the capital for quite a while. When did he begin to write his Roman history? The answer to that question is of major importance to those who wish to interpret the dialectical structure of the work.
A Companion to Livy by Mineo, Bernard